"Apparently the Cold War is over …….. or at least a Federal regulatory agency apparently thinks so! We were lucky enough to pick up a few of these "Geiger Counters" from a Federal Warehouse from which they were distributed and recollected to Fallout Shelters and civilian "Bomb Shelters" around the country during the Cold War. The unit is marked with the Civil Defense logo - a blue circle with a white triangle and red letters CD in the center of the circle.
· Detects dosage rates from .01 to 500. roentgens/hr wit +- 15% accuracy
· Detects high levels of Gamma radiation only
· Zero Adjust Knob
· Analog screen range 0-5 roentgens/hr (r/hr is multiplied by the appropriate
range scale as selected with range switch)
· Selector Switch Settings: Circuit check, Off, Zero (calibrate), X0.1 (0-.5 r/hr, X1 (0-5 r/hr), X10 (0-50 r/hr), X100 (0-500 r/hr)
· Unaffected by EMP (electro magnetic pulse), a phenomenon created by an atomic
detonation which renders most electrical systems inoperative.
· Ruggedized, Sealed meter is watertight, and resists shock and vibration damage.
· Civil Defense Department instrument issued for civilian use during and after nuclear
attack or reactor meltdown.
· Operates on standard D-Cell batteries (not included)
· Operates for over 150 hours continuous, much longer if used intermittently
· Manufactured in the early 60's
These units are in good condition, however, we do not warrant their functionality, accuracy or performance in a gamma or beta environment, or otherwise.. In the unlikely event that a maintenance issue would occur, the manual (reprint) has a rather extensive troubleshooting and corrective maintenance section, including repair and replacement of resistors, diodes, etc.
We offer these units in a tested and functioning status according to the manufacturers specifications, having passed the "circuit check" test and "meter zero" test, (not calibrated).
To download a reprint of the original Operator's Manual for this unit click here.
Units may or may not come in an original box and may or may not include an original manual. THIS IS A NON-RETURNABLE ITEM
Use of the term “Geiger counter” is in place solely as a buzz word. Many people recognize the term “Geiger counter”. What you are getting is described by the model numbers listed. Please research the capabilities and specifications of these specific model numbers before making a purchase. We do realize that some of these units may not be technically considered to be Geiger counters, rather radiation detectors."